Monday, February 25, 2013

Snow Day

Remember those days when you were a kid and you would wake up to a magical wonderland of snow just outside your house. The best part was that it would happened on a school day and you would sit next to the radio (for those of you old enough to remember what a radio was and I don’t mean Pandora. Oh Jesus, I’m old), still in your jammies, excitement coursing through your entire annoying body as you waited on the radio d.j. to announce that your school is closed for the day. You hear the name of your school and suddenly you’re filled with so much energy that you’re simultaneously jumping around the house, screaming at the top of your lungs and scrambling to get dressed so you can play in the snow. All the while mom is in the kitchen crying silent tears as she pours some booze into her coffee to make the day a little more bearable.

So true...
Today is a snow day, sort of. Right now it’s a combination of snow and ice falling from the heavens. The local news channel has been announcing any cancellations with schools and businesses in town and while a majority of people on Facebook are pretty stoked, I am not. I work on a military base and normally when there are few snow flakes most personnel get to leave early or not come in at all. That’s because they are considered “non essential.” Guess what this chick’s job position is labeled as. You got it, I am considered “essential personnel.” So, while everyone is all “OMG SNOW AND HOT CHOCOLATE AND FREE DAY!” I’m at work, disgruntled and hoping it doesn’t get too bad because I’m not in the mood to drive in this shenanigans at midnight. I’m still slightly traumatized from the mini blizzard we had on Christmas day.

Yes, I know I’m coming off as a bitter woman. You can’t really blame me. While everyone is off galavanting and sledding in the snow, I’m trapped at work reading about all the fun everyone is having and seeing all the snow pictures on Facebook. If you were to drive by my work you would probably see me, hands pressed against the window with a single tear rolling down my face.

**Edit
So, the town freaked out over nothing. The weather guy got everyone all excited and hyped up for nothing. Tiny little snow flurries came and went, there may be some ice on the way home but I can deal with that. I’m still bitter that some jerks got to go home early.

Peeps got to go home early for this...
                                                                

1 comment:

  1. My father was a snow-plow driver, so he liked snow days because they meant extra cash. I liked them because they meant extra sleep. Now? Snow days make me want to kick baby bunnies- but luckily, we don't have many, because 'round these parts, we are prepared for snow- and haven't gotten much at all this year.

    ReplyDelete