Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Day My Childhood was Destroyed

I was being lazy and just lounging around in bed this afternoon morning and I’m not entirely sure why this random memory of my brother destroying my childhood popped into my head. As a kid I was pretty vocal in the fact that I always wanted to be an only child. The brief three years I was an only child were amazing, I had so many toys and was showered with love and affection from my parents all the time. And then he came along. The new baby stole all the attention, he followed me around, hugged me, wanted to play games with me and I wanted nothing to do with him. Unless I needed to scapegoat to get out of trouble and even then the parental units saw right through my schemes.

As a kid I was an avid My Little Pony and Troll doll collector. My room was covered in naked trolls, some with the magic, wishing jewel for a belly button and thousands of My Little Ponies and their matted, colorful hair. Sometimes they would play together, other times they were mortal enemies.

One gloomy and horrible day I came home from school and had my snack of peanut butter and graham crackers with a side of Scooby Doo cartoons. I knew something wasn't right as it was unusually quiet. Normally, baby brother was hugging me or drooling on one of my precious toys, however on this atrocious day, he was being eerily quiet and was no where to be seen.  

I put my snack on the coffee table and slowly made my way to my room. I noticed that the door was closed and I could hear the faint sound of jibberish talk and mild humming. I slowly opened the door, holding my breath, and completely unsure what I would find in there. My eyes scanned the room but I heard his voice first.

“Oh you look very nice with the new hair cut.”

I flung the door open and saw him. My little brother was sitting in the middle of my room, my Troll dolls scattered around him and a tiny pile of red, green, yellow, purple Troll hair next to him. A pair of those elementary school safety scissors was in his grubby little hand and an innocent Troll doll in the other.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!”

Is what I managed to screeched before he looked at me with those simple, blue eyes and a giant, satisfied grin across his face.

“Look, I gave them buzz cuts!”

He said, completely unfased with my anger, as he held the poor little doll up like a trophy. I’m not completely sure what happened after that, I may have blacked out from complete rage. Or what actually happened was that I burst into tears and ran crying to my parents. Who in turn took that little jerks side stating they were JUST toys and I was overreacting to the dolls getting a hair cut.

The hair was the lucky part.


Oh Trolls, I'm sorry.


2 comments:

  1. My little brother peed in my Barbie Soda Fountain machine. We've had a contentious relationship ever since. Brothers...

    ReplyDelete