Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Staring

I'm currently working on my billionth semester trying to get my degree in Elementary Education and some of my education related assingments require that I complete 10 hours of observation in an elementary school in my area. A few weeks after the semester began I was finally given my assignment and the school I would be observing. I felt a little bit nervous as I walked into the classroom with my pen and notebook and about 20 pairds of eyes turned to watch me as I awkwardly and slowly made my way across the classroom.

About an hour or so into the observation the teacher had to make a trip to the office and asked if I would keep an eye on the students. They were quietly working on an assignment and she stated that they would just keep to themselves as they worked. Sounded easy enough. A few minutes after she left I was checking the email on my phone when I had this eery feeling that I was being watched. After working in jobs where cell phone use was a big no-no that eery feeling was starting to make me feel a tad bit paranoid.

I tucked my cell phone and slowly looked around the classroom and that's when I saw him. This little 4 grade boy just staring so intently at me with no emotion on his face. I felt confused and slightly worried. Why was this kid just staring at me? Then it happened. His hand began to slowly rise to his face and then formed into this tiny, little fist with his index finger sticking out. His finger slid slowly up his nostril and then right back out, a giant booger attached to the tip of his finger. And just as quickly, he ate the booger and turned around to work on his assignment, as if nothing happened.

As I sat in there, still trying to figure out what just happened the teacher walked back in. She asked if everything happened, I said no and went back to writing my notes. As I was leaving for the day the booger eater turned and waved good-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment