Monday, September 9, 2013

Best Friends Forever!

Don't cry for me Argentina. The truth is, I never left you. I just got busy with work and volunteer stuff and crying about needing sleep. You know, the usually stuff. Anywho, I'm finally starting to get out of that horrible writers block funk!


So, I present to you, Best Friends Forever. 

A few weekends ago I went to lunch with a friend of mine that we'll refer to as "Scotty." Now, "Scotty" and I have been BFF's since high school (that's nearly 10 years ago...ugh. I don't wanna be old) and although we may not chat every single day, when we do manage to find time to hang out (since someone finally moved closer after having to move several states away to go to fancy lawyer school) it's like zero time has passed. Getting all the mushy feelings stuff out of the way, I figured I would share the story of the first day we met. It was my senior year (her junior) of high school and I was sitting in my drama class chatting with some friends when we all noticed this pale girl with bright red hair in the doorway. As we heard whispers between her step-dad and the teacher, we found out that she was from Scotland and this was her first day. The following pictures are a pretty accurate recreation of that day. 

We did quietly and awkwardly stare at her as she walked to the empty table in the back of the room.



And we kept staring.

Even when she finally noticed us staring, we didn't stop. 


 After a few minutes of quietly staring back at each other, the group turned back around and went about their daily business. I, with my feelings, felt bad that "Scotty" was all alone at her table so I took a seat across from her and introduced myself. That exchange went a little like this:
I had black hair and short bangs back in the day..DON'T JUDGE MY HAIR CHOICES!
At this point, I was just calmly telling her my name and ah mah gad welcome to America and stuff! How long have you lived in the land of freedom, deep fried food and the Backstreet Boys? Which would explain why I got this reaction:
There was surprise...which quickly turned into a glare
"Scotty" claims she glared at me because she was all nervous and crap about not only being in a new school with zero friends but in a totally new country as well. Plus, we had just spent about 20 minutes staring at her. I just thought she was being a bitch. Then I realized the reason she was looking at me like I was crazy was probably because while I was politely and not crazily introducing myself, she saw this: 

I tried to draw a unicorn but it just looked like an obese pony ...


See! I told you she glared at me!


This is the part where I was just confused because damnit, I was so frigging nice and crap and she was just sitting over there, glaring at my niceness. She eventually warmed up to everyone and now I proudly call "Scotty" mah BFF with the funny accent!

We're totes high fiving.


2 comments:

  1. This reminds me a lot of hyperbole and a half and it makes me laugh just as hard xD great post.

    I too have a distant best friend. Her name is SWOMMD. Well, it's an acronym for "She Who Owes Me Mountain Dew." When we first met, she stole my mountain dew. So the debt has yet to be repaid.

    This post is an hysterical retelling of an awesome memory. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter! I LOVE Hyperbole! For a while I was like SHE NEEDS TO UPDATE! Then I disappeared and was like oh, yeah. Ok, I get it. lol

      You should totally send her an invoice for a Mountain Dew. Maybe add some interest to it too, like cookies or cupcakes or something. lol

      Delete